This position performs work under the direction of department management but with a high degree of initiative and independent judgement. This is highly responsible work performing skilled tasks in building HVAC, and related controls systems. This position’s primary expertise will be in HVAC maintenance and building controls maintenance, installations, and design and will act as lead on all Robert Morris University HVAC projects and control system projects. This position ensures that all HVAC systems are properly maintained and are in proper operating condition.
Maintenance coverage is 24/7 – 365 days/year and overtime may be necessary to accomplish work assignments and/or shift coverage. Vacations (PTO) approval may be limited during peak activity periods. This position may be required to work as scheduled during University closings.
1. Provides leadership to less skilled employees who are assigned to assist on projects. Consistently makes proper decisions that ensure the work performed is completed in accordance with project guidelines set by management, and that the project is completed with a high degree of efficiency.
2. Performs maintenance, repairs and installation on all types of HVAC equipment including, but not limited to: air conditioning units, heating equipment, refrigeration units, ventilation units, chillers, cooling towers, etc.
3. Responsible for other duties such as opening clogged sinks, showers and toilets, replacing light bulbs, small electrical repairs, repairing faucets, etc.
4. Moves furniture and completes set-ups and tear-downs for university functions and outside rental groups.
5. Receives and unloads delivery trucks.
6. Performs snow removal work by using hand tools to remove snow and ice from steps, walks and ramps, Ability to operate equipment such as salt spreaders, skid steers, tractors and trucks to remove snow and ice from walks, ramps, roads and parking lots.
7. Attends seminars, conferences, and training sessions related to craft, and must be able to demonstrate and utilize the knowledge gained through this training.
8. Maintains a functional awareness of typical hazards of the workplace as well as special hazards that may be encountered; follows established procedures for dealing with such potential hazards, promptly reporting all accidents or injuries to supervisor.
9. Responds to emergency calls from all campus locations.
10. May be called upon to help install or repair other equipment such as electrical motors, gas and oil operated emergency generators, transformers, pneumatic control systems etc.
11. Will need to drive on behalf of the university.
12. Performs related work and other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or GED required.
2. Minimum of ten years’ experience working with HVAC controls systems is required.
3. Must have a valid driver’s license, as well as the ability to drive vehicles with standard transmissions.
4. Journeyman license for HVAC or equivalent experience.
5. Minimum of ten years on-the-job experience working with direct digital control software.
6. Knowledge of all tools, materials, methods and hazards of the trade. Skilled in the use of all tools of the trade.
7. Knowledge of local and national codes as applicable to work.
8. Must have a strong background in blueprint reading.
9. Must have the ability to receive work orders and follow orders verbally or in writing.
10. Must have the ability to work without direct supervision.
11. Must have the ability to work well with co-workers.
12. Must be able to work from blueprints, shop drawings, sketches, technical manuals, or verbal instruction.
13. Must be able to complete work and operates maintenance equipment in a safe and effective manner.
14. Must be able to work outside in all types of weather conditions, in unpleasant areas.
15. Must be able to clean spills of various substances such as body fluids or chemical substances.
16. Must be able to maintain an acceptable record of attendance, punctuality and meeting deadlines. Must be able to work any shift, at any campus location.
17. Must be able to work overtime, limit PTO (paid time off) during peak activity periods and work as scheduled during University closings when needed.
18. Must adhere to all University and departmental policies, procedures, and safety regulations.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a letter of interest and an attached resume to email@example.com. To ensure proper processing, applicants must use the following subject line format:
First Name Last Name – Position Reference Number Example: Bob Morris - 123456
This position description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by the employee holding this job. This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
In performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees are expected to conform with the University’s Policy of Ethical Practice and the following: perform quality work within deadlines with/without direct supervision; interact professionally with other employees, students, customers and suppliers; work effectively as a team contributor; and work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating/coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin. EOE
Approximately 5,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 42 states and 32 nations are enrolled at Robert Morris University, which is located in Moon Township approximately 20 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh.
Robert Morris University offers 60 undergraduate degree programs and 20 graduate degree programs in five academic schools: the School of Business, the School of Communications and Info...rmation Systems, the School of Education and Social Science, the School of Engineering, Mathematics and Science, and the School of Nursing and Health Sciences.
RMU’s mission is to change our students’ lives so that they can go out and change the lives of others for the better. We do this through professional experiences, service learning, global experiences, undergraduate research, campus leadership, and cultural experiences. These activities are documented on RMU’s unique Student Engagement Transcript.
More than 100 clubs and organizations help students to develop leadership skills, network professionally and meet friends. Student organizations include varsity, club and intramural sports, sororities, fraternities and student government. RMU has 23 NCAA Division I athletic programs, including football, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s hockey, and men's and women's lacrosse.
The university has 571 employees, which includes 200 full-time faculty members.