Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, Pneumatics, Energy Management Systems, Steam and Condensation, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Responsible for the installation, servicing, inspecting, lubricating and cleaning of all refrigeration equipment, machinery, motors, compressors, equipment and piping systems in boiler rooms, tunnels and buildings.
(2) Performs pipe fitting and pipe covering; maintains plumbing; operation of boilers, refrigeration units and ventilation distribution systems.
(3) Analyze and maintain air conditioning and refrigeration systems, including: control systems; pump distribution; water treatment; refrigerant flow devices; and fan systems. Perform test and balance work on pumps, fans, etc. Modify or rebuild compressors, pumps, and other units and components.
(4) Performs all other duties as assigned.
Education (Minimum/Preferred): Education: High School Diploma
Experience: Minimum 5 years documented experience working with HVAC/Mechanical systems, energy management systems, pumps, refrigeration systems, motors and compressors.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The ability to prepare records and service reports of materials and time expanded. Read and interpret diagrams, sketches, and job specifications related to air conditioning, refrigeration, steam and condensation applications, hot water and gas fired systems. The knowledge and ability to confer with architects, engineers, contractors, and others on matters pertaining to energy management systems, heating and air conditioning, and installation of mechanical equipment.
The physical ability to lift heavy to moderately heavy tools, equipment, supplies, etc. The ability to climb stairs, stages, scaffolds and ladders. Ability to service A/C rooftop units and other equipment that requires an individual to work at different heights.
Work conditions vary with exposure to extreme heat and cold temperatures. Individual will be exposed to all weather conditions as well as noise when indoors or outdoors. Working environment will consist of some of the following: boiler rooms, tunnels, mechanical rooms, powerhouses, rooftops, manholes, etc.
- State of Michigan licensing in heating and cooling application. – Third class Refrigeration license City of Detroit. - State of Michigan Mechanical Contractor’s License a plus, or a Journeyman’s License. - Universal Refrigerant Usage Certification - State of Michigan valid driver’s license.
Open Date: 08/09/2017
Salary/Pay Information: IUOE-P Grade 1 - $31.5219
7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.