Associate Director of Building Operations - Wellness Center
The Associate Director of Building Operations is responsible for the day-to-day supervision, management and operations of the Wellness, Recreation, & Athletic Center (WRAC), including scheduling, event management for all internal and external events, management of all maintenance work orders, communication with outside vendors, supervision of full-time, part-time, and student staff, and implementing and executing security and risk management procedures for the entire facility.
Principal Responsibilities: • Oversee the day to day operations of the Wellness, Recreation and Athletic Center
• Supervise and oversee the Wellness, Recreation, & Athletic Center staff including all full-time, part-time and student staff
• Responsible for scheduling facilities within the Wellness, Recreation, & Athletic Center and Paramount Gym
• Work with University janitorial and buildings and grounds staff and outside contractors and vendors to maintain the daily and annual maintenance of the Wellness, Recreation, & Athletic Center
• Work with University Capital Projects Department on any new construction in the facility
• Work cooperatively and interact well with Long Island University/Brooklyn Campus student body, staff, administration, & faculty
• Responsible for maintaining accurate records, health forms, maintenance reports and external contracts and insurance for the entire facility
• Liaison and coordinator for all special events, athletic events, University events, and Community and external events held within the Wellness, Recreation, & Athletic Center and Paramount Gym
• Make continuous safety audits of facility, equipment, and personnel
• Work with campus security to secure all offices, doors, computer hardware, facility equipment, pool, fitness center, mechanical and electrical rooms, and other high risk areas as well as perimeter security and coordinate with security for all internal and external events
• Establish and enforce facility safety and risk management policies and procedures for ensuring the safety of all staff, participants, customers and the security of the building
• Give special attention to facility needs such as interior/exterior lighting problems, dressing rooms and lockers, air conditioning/heating ventilation, emergency exits/stairwells, plumbing and or electrical problems.
• Report all maintenance and facility issues to the buildings and grounds department and keep records of all work orders for the facility
• Complete visual inspections of facilities, equipment and reporting procedures.
• Purchase and maintenance decisions on all facility equipment and supplies ensuring their safety and availability for participants and members within the Wellness, Recreation, & Athletic Center
• Responsible for the fiscal operations of the Wellness, Recreation, & Athletic Center. Establish goals and objectives, monitor and administers the facility budgets and directs the operation of all budgets.
• Responsible for developing and administrating revenue generating programs, examples include, but are not limited to facility rentals
• Sit on various campus committees
• Regulate the posting of materials in halls, bulletin boards and throughout the rest of the facility
• Take immediate corrective action when appropriate
• Execute emergency procedures when necessary
•Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Sports Management, Recreation, Education or related field required; Master's degree in Sports Management, Recreation, Education or related field preferred. Three to five years' experience in the day-to-day operations of a professional or collegiate athletic and/or recreation facility. Applicants must have CPR/First Aid/AED certifications. Applicants must have the ability to work independently and autonomously; possess excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills to interact with a large variety of groups and individuals; the ability to work effectively with a diverse constituency to meet facility/program objectives; the ability to supervise, manage, motivate and communicate with the student, part-time and full-time staff. Working knowledge of budgets and related fiscal accounting principles; knowledge of and the ability to implement and enforce risk management procedures and principles. Strong public relation and customer service skills and working knowledge of insurance and safety requirements in an athletic and recreation environment. Experience in hiring, training, evaluating and disciplining employees. Knowledge of swimming pool operation, Certified Pool Operators Certification preferred. Knowledge of fitness center administration and knowledge of athletics administration and NCAA policies and procedures.
Special Information: Ability and willingness to work nights, weekends, and holidays as WRAC schedule requires; ability to work with campus facility staff, security, and outside vendors on a daily basis. Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as noises, odors and other elements related to facility and construction maintenance. Physical Activity on a daily basis, including lifting, standing and walking for more then 4 hours per day. Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks. Use of equipment needed to set up and break down for athletic, recreational and special events within the facility and pool and fitness related equipment.
LIU isan equal opportunity employer. LIU is committed to extending equal opportunity in employment to all qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. LIU encourages applications from all qualifiedindividuals without regard to race, color, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. Hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States.