POSITION SUMMARY: The Assistant Athletic Director of Facilities & Event Management reports directly to Senior Associate Athletic Director for Business & Operations. Manages the day-to-day aspects of facilities maintenance activities, including facility repairs, renovations, scheduling and designated projects. Primary contact to all coaches and staff on Event Management/Game Operations as it relates to hosting Tulane, American Athletic Conference or NCAA competitions. Develops and maintains departmental facilities policies and procedure manuals as well as visiting team guides for each athletic facility. Secondary duties include the coordination of athletic facility usage for home intercollegiate athletic events and departmental rental events, including but not limited to scheduling support staff and coordinating post-event clean up. Directs the Game Operations staff as needed in the management of event activities and game operations for home intercollegiate athletics events and department rental events with duties encompassing both facilities and game operations responsibilities. Assists as a liaison to facilities services, concession/catering vendor and the janitorial services contractor providing supervisory responsibilities and fiscal oversight related to their services in support of Athletic Department events and facilities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Facility Management/Game Operations (45%)
1. Support the Senior Associate Athletics Director and collaborate with the Facilities/Event Coordinators on all facility operations and game management issues; 2. Coordinate and schedule preventive and routine maintenance and equipment repairs for the Intercollegiate Athletic Facilities and Grounds. Conduct daily walk-through of the entire facilities to manage facility cleanliness and generate a punch list of items that require maintenance; 3. Serve as a liaison with Facilities Services for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics to ensure routine functioning and service documentation for all mechanical, HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems; 4. Serve as direct contact with third party custodial services contractor (C&W). Ensuring that all facilities are cleaned and ready to meet the needs of the Tulane staff, coaches, student-athletes and community; 5. Develop an annual and an ongoing facility periodic maintenance list to address day-to-day matters, monthly and periodic for capital expenditures ensuring that all departmental needs are addressed; 6. Serve as secondary contact for all off campus/third party vendors that provide services, equipment and supplies to the department relating to building maintenance, event operations and facility personnel; 7. In coordination with the Intercollegiate Facilities team, ensure facilities are well maintained and risk management inspections are performed of all facilities before, during and after events; 8. Establish and carry out an organized system of communication and expectation for events, including set up, management, staffing and breakdown; 9. Maintain operations manuals outlining best practices for event operations and management; 10. Coordinate pre-event staffing with security, police, parking, and other university and outside vendors.
1. Provide clear, consistent communication and direction for full time and part time staff, while providing timely feedback; 2. Set an example by consistently modeling high standards of performance, honesty, and integrity; 3. Conduct weekly Environmental Services staff meetings to provide updates on departmental and building issues with University subcontractors; 4. Identify and support opportunities for staff development for full-time employees; 5. Direct and support the Athletic Facilities & Event Coordinators, Maintenance Supervisor, Maintenance Aides and Environmental Services personnel by establishing and ensuring routine periodic maintenance, cleaning schedules, and daily work scripts; 6. Evaluate full-time staff members on a quarterly basis to provide prompt feedback, establish quarterly goals, and expectations; 7. Conducts annual performance evaluations for all part-time and full-time staff; 8. Provide recognition and motivation for direct reports; 9. Prepare and submit bi-weekly payroll reports for all staff; 10. Provide ongoing opportunities for staff development.
1. Track all Running Job Orders and Work ticket submissions associated with Facilities Services work performed on or in Athletic Facilities; 2. Perform monthly accounting of expenditures associated with Facilities Services Running Job Orders and Interdepartmental Transfers; 3. Track labor costs of the custodial contractor for additional work not part of their university contract that will be directly billed to Athletics; 4. Ensure invoices for equipment or materials purchased are properly posted against the correct Tulane expenditure account; 5. Manage the assigned budgets of Facilities, Yulman Stadium Rental, Yulman Stadium Operations and Game Operations to achieve a balanced budget.
1. Utilize facility scheduling software to track facility usage while providing daily, weekly, monthly, and semester facility schedules. Produced and disseminated in a timely manner to all appropriate parties(internal and external); 2. Resolve scheduling conflicts and find alternative times for when possible by identifying alternate use of space; 3. Impartially schedule facility space for on-campus programming while capitalizing on remaining space available for outside rentals, adhering to departmental usage priorities; 4. Assist in the development and enforcement of appropriate administrative and operational policies and procedures to insure the appropriate and orderly use of the Intercollegiate Athletic Facilities; 5. Supervises the purchases, maintenance and scheduling of the Departmental Motor Vehicle and Golf Cart fleets.
NCAA Compliance (5%)
1. Ensures that all Department of Athletics and University related activities operate in full compliance with university, conference and NCAA rules and regulation; 2. Attends and participates in scheduled compliance seminars and complies with all the Athletic Department's efforts to monitor compliance with NCAA regulations; 3. Seeks interpretations from the compliance staff before acting when necessary; 4. Reports potential rules violations immediately; 5. Completes required compliance paperwork in a timely and efficient manner; 6. Monitors all of their areas and/or programs activities closely to maintain compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
Performs other duties as assigned by the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Business and Operations. (5%)
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
Bachelor’s degree and 4 years’ related experience or a High School Diploma Equivelant and 10 years’ related experience
Current CPR and First Aid Certifications
Strong interpersonal skills
Strong writing skills
Ability to interact effectively with coaches, administrators, student athletes and vendors
Strong organizational, management and leadership skills
Proficient computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets and social media
Proven ability to multi-task effectively
Ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines
Available to work flexible work schedule including nights and weekends
Through knowledge of NCAA and American Conference rules and regulations
In order to be considered for the position, you must apply for IRC14158 via the Tulane University employment portal (http://www2.tulane.edu/jobs/). The position closes on Sunday, May 20, 2018.
Previous experience at the Division I level
Internal Number: IRC14158
About Tulane University
Founded in 1834, Tulane is one of the most highly regarded and selective independent research universities in the United States. A member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, we take pride in being a part of this select group of 62 universities with “pre-eminent programs of graduate and professional education and scholarly research.” Our schools and colleges offer undergraduate..., graduate and professional degrees in the liberal arts, science and engineering, architecture, business, law, social work, medicine and public health and tropical medicine. With a sixteen-sport program that competes in the American Athletic Conference, Tulane Athletics is on the rise, boasting one of the oldest and most storied athletics programs in the Southeast, and indeed the nation.