Area Maintenance Supervisor - Facilities Maintenance Operations
May 18, 2018
USA - MA - Cambridge
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Supervises and develops a multi-trade team of in-house tradespersons and outside contractors to repair, maintain, and operate a variety of complex building systems. Provides tradespersons with instruction for the performance of duties, establishes standards for work quality, and inspects work to ensure compliance. Manages the attendance and work performance of each employee to meet the objectives of the unit and the department.
2. Creates, assigns, and manages electronic work orders to ensure accuracy of descriptions for assignments, work performed and customer information. Performs continuous review and distribution of work orders waiting for assignment and takes required action to ensure timely completion of all work. Reviews and approves crew requests for materials and/or services required to complete required assignments. Plans and reviews preventive maintenance schedules and work orders to ensure timely alignment of staff, equipment, and materials required to perform work. Prepares work completion reports for customers.
3. Performs daily review and approval of all electronic time cards submitted by assigned hourly staff. Makes supervisory time card entries for all assignments not associated with a customer work order (i.e., training, other shop assignment). Reviews and approves the assignment of overtime in advance of assignment. Performs weekly authorization of all approved time in accordance with departmental procedures.
4. Maintains regular contact with customers to ensure timely work completion, service quality and overall satisfaction. Meets regularly with faculty and department representatives to establish or clarify customer requirements and identify opportunities for new work. Conducts investigations and analyses of all service related incidents; prepares customer and management reports and takes corrective actions.
5. Prepares detailed price proposals in response to customer requests for installation projects and preventive maintenance programs. Evaluates needs for contracted labor or specialty services, prepares detailed work specifications, issues contracts, and manages vendor to ensure full performance. Provides project management oversight as needed.
6. Provides professional advice and technical support to faculty and department representatives in the development of energy efficiency and plant maintenance initiatives (e.g. preventive maintenance programs, equipment changes, building operations, and environmental controls).
7. Oversees compliance with applicable regulatory, environmental, and workplace safety codes for all work performed in the unit. Manages established departmental worker safety program for all direct reports. Leads regularly scheduled Tool Box Talks with work crew members. Perform accident investigation and follow-up as required.
8. Identifies candidates for specialized technical training and skill building programs, including Building Automation Control (BAC) Operator Training (using control simulator and other training aides).
9. Continuously improves the quality of FMO services by motivating and empowering employees, leveraging new technologies, and creating or revising procedures and processes to improve individual and team effectiveness. Closely monitors expenditures for work order labor, materials, and other costs to ensure best value to the customer.
Position Summary: Facilities Maintenance Operations (FMO) offers building &landscape maintenance, and custodial services to Harvard faculties and departments on a fee-for-service basis. All services are provided in strict accordance with customer-determined standards. As such, FMO operates as an in-house alternative to contractor services and therefore must manage itself under the same principles that guide any successful maintenance service business. This position is not a facilities manager.
Supervises a team of skilled mechanics and building operators providing Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, and related building maintenance services to a designated area of the Harvard campus on a fee-for-service basis. Communicates with facilities managers/superintendents or other representatives (who manage the buildings) to determine requirements and develop response and maintenance operations strategies consistent with their requests. Manages all operations in accordance with customer expectations and departmental objectives to ensure a self-sustaining future.
Emergency Status Designation: Critical Personnel
Salary Grade: 058
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
College background with degree in mechanical engineering or engineering technology preferred. Related technical or vocational training/experience will be considered in the absence of engineering degree. Must possess a valid Massachusetts state trade license. Minimum five years experience supervising trades personnel in the maintenance of complex building systems, preferably in a unionized work environment.
Technology Skills Required: Demonstrated proficiency in desktop and smartphone technology platforms and applications, including: Microsoft Office (word processing, spreadsheet and database.
Special Requirements: Must be available to respond to emergencies on off-hours. Must have current CFC certification, universal classification.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to stand and walk for long periods. Must be able to access non-handicap accessible work spaces for observation of building operating equipment.
Experience with paperless work order and asset management systems strongly desired. Must demonstrate evidence of effective leadership abilities and a willingness to serve as an active team member. Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) required. Minimum one year experience in Siemens' computer trouble shooting, data retrieval, and trend logging preferred.
Familiarity with equipment diagnostics, bar-coding, and related technologies desired.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Internal Number: 45753BR
About Harvard University
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.