Gill St. Bernard’s School, an independent, nonsectarian, college preparatory day school for students Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12, is seeking an individual to join our community as member of our Building and Grounds Maintenance staff.
The Building and Grounds Maintenance Staff member, reporting to the Director of Operations, helps to maintain school buildings and the grounds in outstanding condition to ensure full and productive use of School facilities. To accomplish these tasks the Building and Grounds Maintenance Staff member must work closely with faculty, School staff and administration.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Maintain School building and grounds in outstanding condition to ensure full and productive use of the facilities as well as optimum appearance.
Ensure that all activities conform to School requirements.
Communicate effectively with all members of the School and School community.
React to change productively and handle other tasks as assigned.
Appropriately operate all equipment and machinery as necessary.
Operate in a team environment, effectively interacting with maintenance, farm and security personnel.
Perform preventative maintenance, repair and installation in connection with:
Electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems
Exterior and interior of buildings including repair and painting
Move equipment and materials within and between School buildings.
Work when emergencies arise in order to prevent disruption of the School and other specific events such as Commencement, Family Day, Auction and others.
Involvement in snow removal from sidewalks, driveways and parking lots. This may include arriving early or remaining on campus during/after a storm.
Spread sand, salt and calcium on sidewalks, driveways and parking lots during icy conditions.
Act as a substitute custodian when necessary.
Keep abreast of new information, innovative ideas and techniques.
Adhere to all School health and safety policies, including all precautions of the Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan.
Participate as part of the School’s Emergency Management Team under the direction of the Director of Security.
Performs other duties as assigned by the Building & Grounds Supervisor, Chief Financial Officer and Head of School.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
- Requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull or push objects or materials up to 70 lbs unassisted.
- Requires stooping, kneeling, crawling, bending, turning and reaching.
- Requires climbing and balancing.
- Must work indoors and outdoors year-round.
- Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
- Must work in and around dust, fumes and odors.
- Must be able to drive mechanical vehicles. Some examples of such vehicles are trucks, tractors and backhoes.
- Must be able to work in high places such as rooftops and ceilings.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A high school diploma.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in building, grounds or general maintenance.
- Working knowledge of smart phones, walkie-talkies and computers.
- Ability to read product labels and assembly instructions.
- Ability to read material safety data sheets (MSDS).
- Ability to initiate and complete work orders.
- Have a driver’s license and able to qualify to drive under the School’s insurance carrier when driving a School vehicle.
- CDL license is preferred.
- Experience in a school setting is preferred.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three references to Josie Muench, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com.
Gill St. Bernard's School prohibits discrimination against and harassment of any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.