Vanderbilt University is seeking a skilled and energetic building manager for the Engineering and Science Building. The building manager will regularly perform a full range of facility planning and management activities, including but not limited to space planning and analysis, space utilization management, operations and maintenance, capital project oversight, and leading safety, emergency management and energy management programs. The building manager will serve as the key contact with various units at Vanderbilt that provide facilities, space, architectural and safety services to the
building, and will be responsible for ensuring service partners provide the appropriate level of services as per service agreements and project scopes.
Duties and responsibilities
· Performing analysis and making recommendations to match operational requirements with space plans
· Developing and administering space policies that increase the overall effectiveness of space utilization and management.
· Developing, implementing and overseeing a space use/program management system in collaboration with the Wond'ry Executive Director.
· Work with associate deans and administrative units from the schools/colleges whose faculty, students and staff are located in or utilize the building
· Working with faculty on their space and logistics needs
· Working with Office of the Provost and the schools' associated deans and administrative staff to develop near and longer-term strategic plans for space and facilities; both non-capital renovations and major capital investments.
· Leading programs to improve laboratory and general safety within the building.
· Working with Vanderbilt facilities management and others on renovation and capital project plans; while providing oversight to on-going renovation and major capital projects.
· Partnering with facilities management to address operations and maintenance.
· Analyzing, understanding and managing cost and budgetary issues related to the building.
· Collaborate with Vanderbilt Environment Health and Safety to design programs to address safety and compliance for laboratories, hazardous waste management, cleanroom, and toxic gas monitoring and emergency response.
· Collaborate with Sustainability and Environment Management Office to ensure compliance with applicable environmental regulations and implementation of sustainability programs including recycling, waste minimization, and utility conservation.
· Basic knowledge of building systems to include HVAC, plumbing, electrical and system controls.
· Demonstrated communication skills, both written and oral, to include the ability to communicate highly technical issues to researchers, faculty, students, administrative and facilities staff on a regular and timely basis.
About the Engineering and Science Building
The 230,000 square-foot, seven story Engineering and Science Building (ESB) is a home for talented faculty members and students who are focused on trans-institutional teaching, research, and service. As one of the largest interdisciplinary buildings on campus, this space is programmatically designed to strengthen Vanderbilt's growing reputation as a major producer of intellectual leaders, entrepreneurs, and innovators. The facility also advances our position as one of the nation's prominent research institutions, bolstering our ability to address the most critical challenges our society faces.
Significant consideration has been given to the design of this building, incorporating fundamental features reflecting the university's priorities:
· Wond'ry: Focuses on innovation, intellectual property creation, and entrepreneurship for the entire campus
· Community Space: Serves as an intellectual meeting place and will include an area specifically designed for undergraduates to engage in research and innovation, enhancing their educational experience and preparation for the future
· Atrium/Social Space: Promotes interactions, building relationships across our dynamic campus and with out community, and allows opportunities to host events engaging students, faculty, alumni and others.
· Research Shared Resources: Includes a Clean Room (operated by Vanderbilt Institute of Nanoscale Science and Engineering) and a high precision instrumentation space to conduct world-class science and engineering and to educate and recruit world-class engineers and scientists.
· Instructional Space: Includes the latest in educational technologies to facilitate innovative intellectual engagement
· Research Laboratories: Includes two built-out floors accommodating a range of research modules (wet, damp, and dry), supporting faculty and graduate student from the School of Engineering. Three additional floors are shelled, providing flexibility to support new trans-institutional programs and opportunistic hires for academic leaders intersecting the School of Engineering, the College of Arts and Science, and the School of Medicine.
Profile of an Ideal Candidate
Bachelor's degree and three years of experience as a building manager in a technology dense building (either industry or high ed.)
About Vanderbilt Benefits
In addition to offering a lively community thatencourages learning and celebrates diversity, Vanderbilt University offers acompetitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life,accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, anda 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuitionassistance to employees, spouses and dependent children. Also, after five yearsof service, Vanderbilt will pay up to 55% of the tuition for up to threedependent children to earn a bachelor's degree. Learn more about Vanderbilt'sbenefits at VU Benefits Overview.
About Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institutionfounded in 1873 and located in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. Theuniversity's students and faculty frequently cite Nashville and the surroundingarea as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community.Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledgeexpanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity issought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part ofsomething bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work andnever settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently ranked#2 for ‘best quality of life’ and ‘great financial aid,’ #5 for ‘best runcolleges’ and ‘beautiful campus,’ and #6 for both being in a ‘college city thatstudents love’ and having ‘great campus/city relations.’
Internal Number: 1801717
About Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt University is a center for scholarly research, informed and creative teaching, and service to the community and society at large. Vanderbilt will uphold the highest standards and be a leader in the quest for new knowledge through scholarship, the dissemination of knowledge through teaching and outreach, and the creative experimentation of ideas and concepts. In pursuit of these goals, Vanderbilt values most highly intellectual freedom that supports open inquiry, equality, compassion, and excellence in all endeavors.