Job Description Summary The physical demands of this position range from LIGHT to MEDIUM-HEAVY. This position involves planting and transplanting shrubs, removing and installing sod, watering both cultivated ground and new plantings. Seasonal grounds maintenance including: lawn mowing, trimming, edging, mulching, lining roadways and parking lots, surface trash clean-up, snow removal, and installation of traffic signals, sign posts, barriers, etc. These are completed in accordance with all applicable OSHA regulations and established schedules and procedures at Bentley University. Standing, walking, lifting, carrying and reaching are performed on a frequent to constant basis. Bending, pushing, pulling, climbing, kneeling and twisting are performed on an occasional to frequent basis. The heaviest physical demands are required during handling of shrubs, sod, furniture, heavier equipment, ice melt, sand, etc. These activities require handling of 25-50 pounds of load resistance on an occasional to frequent basis. Heavier tasks may require the assistance of (2) or more co-workers.
1. Performs and schedules seasonal fertilizer and weed control on all campus turf areas.
2. Safely performs all daily turf practices such as mowing, trimming, cleanup, edging, etc.
5. Safely operates power machinery such as bucket trucks, bobcats, tractors, mowers, seed slicers, spreaders, sprayers and snow blowers.
6. Assist Grounds employees in all facets of Facilities operations, including but not limited to furniture moves, responding to work order requests, and snow removal.
7. Performs daily campus surface trash cleanup.
8. Participates in training to keep and acquire knowledge, skills, and abilities to remain current with standard operational practices and revised standards.
9. Reports building damages, malfunctioning equipment, needed maintenance and/or repairs in assigned work areas.
10. Responds to emergency call-in situations.
11. Keeps detailed records of all product applications and present them to the state when appropriate.
12. Interacts professionally with members of the Bentley community.
13. Inputs data into the computerized work order system, recording time and work order information.
14. Grooming of athletic fields such as; mowing, infield prep, fertilizer applications, weeding and watering.
15. Must be able to supervise contractors or student workers during peak times
1. Assists in the moving of furniture and/or equipment as needed.
2. Provides appropriate support in major campus activities including but not limited to: snow removal, freshman orientation, open house, opening/closing of school, baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate commencement.
3. Follows proper clean-up and recycling procedures as well as observes all safety rules and regulations (including OSHA regulations) while handling and/or caring for Bentley tools and equipment, to avoid injury to self and others.
4. Must be able to assist in performing a variety of tasks in the following areas; carpentry, painting plumbing, electrical, masonry, machine maintenance, heating and air conditioning, fire alarm and sprinkler systems.
5. May be required to assist other trades as directed by Facilities Manager.
6. Performs all other related duties necessary to meet Facilities Management requirements.
1. Minimum of 5-years' experience in the turf care industry or athletic field care and maintenance, with experience in grooming turf and infield for game conditions, plus knowledge of all turf-related practices and athletic field requirements.
2. Related agricultural degree preferred.
3. Must have working knowledge of all application equipment, e.g., granular spreaders and spray equipment.
4. Experience in irrigation systems and their proper control and repair.
5. Must Possess a valid Hoisting license, or must be able to obtain one within 1 year of hire.
6. Ability to read blueprints, perform math calculations and quantity conversions required.
7. Must be physically able to perform the daily work demands of the job in accordance with standards set forth by management.
8. Must be able to read, write and interpret documents in the English language, e.g. safety rules, material safety data sheets (MSDS), operating repair, installation and procedure instruction manuals.
9. Must be able to effectively interact and communicate with co-workers and supervisors.
10. Must be available for emergency call-in situations.
11. Use of motor vehicle required for transportation of tools and equipment for job related duties. Must hold and maintain a valid, unrestricted United States driver's license, with an insurable driving history as determined by Bentley's insurance carrier. May be required to drive a Bentley issued vehicle.
12. Properly uses and cares for Bentley tools, radios and equipment.
13. Must possess a valid Massachusetts commercial pesticide license, or, must be able to obtain one within 1 year of hire.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
May be exposed to seasonal temperature extremes, including occasional wet and slippery conditions. Occasionally working near moving mechanical parts is required. Close spaces, working at heights, and climbing both ladders and stairs should also be expected on an occasional to frequent basis. Noise levels may vary from moderate to occasionally high depending on the work situation.
1. Ability to squat, kneel and maintain bent postures from 5 minutes up to 10 minutes for a continuous duration, on an occasional to frequent basis.
2. Ability to walk on level, uneven and inclined surfaces on a sustained basis and climb steps up to 24 steps and ladders up to 18-ft on an occasional to frequent basis.
3. Ability to lift up to 25-pounds individually and up to 100-pounds with assistance, 0-72 inch height range, on an occasional to frequent basis.
4. Ability to carry up to 25-pounds up to 100 yards on an occasional to frequent basis.
5. Ability to push and pull against resistances up to 100-pounds on an occasional basis.
6. Ability to extend reach with both arms, from floor level to overhead, handling up to 25-pounds on an occasional basis.
7. Ability to manipulate small parts, machine and vehicle controls and various hand tools on a frequent basis.
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
Internal Number: 112599478
About Bentley University
Bentley University is one of the nation's leading business schools, dedicated to preparing a new kind of business leader and one with the deep technical skills, the broad global perspective and the high ethical standards required to make a difference in an ever-changing world. To achieve our goal, we infuse our advanced business curriculum with the richness of a liberal arts education. The results are graduates who are making an impact in their chosen fields and turning their passions into success stories. Located on a classic New England campus just minutes from Boston, Bentley is a dynamic community of leaders, scholars and creative thinkers.