The Mechanical Engineering Coordinator may manage and supervise other engineering design staff and organizes project requirements with the other design team Coordinators. The Mechanical Engineering Coordinator must be capable of developing an effective working relationship with consulting engineers and architects, contractors, and authorities having jurisdiction, as well as, with administrative and school personnel within LCPS.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed in relation to the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed appropriate:
* Serves as building fire suppression, plumbing, and mechanical systems planning and design coordinator for new and renovation building projects.
* Evaluates mechanical systems, products, components, and applications, ensuring high quality of design through Schematic Design, Construction Documents, and Construction Administration and conformance to LCPS standards and requirements.
* Coordinates and reviews design work of new and renovated mechanical and plumbing systems for facilities.
* Checks adequacy and accuracy of information and documentation produced by consulting engineer; writes and reviews Scope of Work for mechanical and plumbing design.
* Provides consultation and support to building renovation projects.
* Develops and maintains LCPS technical and education specifications, LCPS sustainable and environmental (Energy Star) design standards and translates design and planning criteria to architects and engineers.
* Review contract documents to ensure compliance of designs with LCPS specification and design standards, evaluate cost controls and performs Quality Assurance review
* Assesses physical condition of existing facilities to provide consultation and support to building renovation projects; update the LCPS facilities database and ascertain 'As built' conditions.
* Evaluates products and systems for performance and energy conservation and participate with various trade organizations; maintains knowledge of latest industry trends and innovations in design and construction and other technology changes.
* Reviews Capital Improvements Program plans for conformance with LCPS design criteria.
* Review estimates of probable cost of equipment and design, assess construction estimates, submittals and contractor correspondence.
* Contribute to solicitations to for professional and construction architects and engineers (RFP development and logistics) for recommendation selection.
* Provides consultation and support for the new building construction phase commissioning processes in plumbing and HVAC systems, and electronic controls systems.
* Develops and maintains positive and effective working relationships with local government, internal LCPS departments, local school personnel, Architects and consulting engineers.
* Participates in reviews, best practices, to ensure best practices after completion of each project.
* Designs plumbing and HVAC systems for existing minor facility renovations and miscellaneous projects.
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Technology, or related field or equivalent education and experience in school design and planning or construction; professional registration preferred (or the ability to obtain licensure). * A minimum of ten (10) years successful experience in a position predominately related to engineering design and review, educational facilities design, review or related fieldwork. * Demonstrates an understanding of policy, regulations, standards, and objectives of public/governmental entities, and state and county building codes relative to the design of educational projects, and coordinates with state and county agencies to ensure compliance; knowledge of the theory and practice of architecture and engineering as it pertains to modern construction methods and school planning techniques. * Successful experience in the construction field in a position predominantly related to educational design, review, or related construction work; considerable knowledge of the procedures, techniques, and methods of educational facility and site planning and CADD. * Ability to successfully interact with review agencies, county staff, contracted architecture and engineering firms, and LCPS personnel. * Demonstrated ability to organize, analyze, and evaluate information, explain requirements, coordinate project schedules and budgets, work independently, and manage personnel. * Demonstrated experience to lead the coordination, direct management and supervision of other staff, if required.
Internal Number: IRC19816
About Loudoun County Public Schools
All applicants must apply on-line through the Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) website.