Pay Range: $22.66 per hour or higher depending on education and experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Position Summary: Under general supervision of the Plumbing Shop Supervisor, the Journeyman Plumber/Pipe Fitter/Steam Fitter is responsible for maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing all plumbing and mechanical heating and cooling piping systems inside campus buildings.
Minimum Qualifications: - High school diploma or GED.
- Complete a minimum four year apprenticeship program in plumbing and/or pipe fitting trade. - Experience safely using tools, materials, and equipment typical in the plumbing/pipe fitting trade.
- Experience installation, maintenance, and repair of plumbing and mechanical systems in commercial structures.
- Experience steam pipe fitting, plumbing, basic electric, pump maintenance, air compressor maintenance, experience with a wide variety of mechanical equipment, handheld and power tools, ability to troubleshoot mechanical problems and make appropriate repairs.
- Experience with drawings, interpreting blue prints, and schematics.
- Three years experience working on plumbing and steam related systems, valves, pumps, motors, gear boxes, hydronic systems, bearings, belts, compressors, filters, and air dryers.
- Experience following safety protocol.
- Experience responding calmly in stressful situations.
Preferred Qualifications: - HVAC, Refrigeration, Asbestos Abatement Certification, Welding Certifications, and Controls Logic and Programming.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions: - Must lift, carry and/or otherwise move 70 pounds, bend, stoop, lift, crawl, and work in extreme weather and temperature conditions.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces and at heights and use/wear appropriate personal protective equipment including full face respirator.
Posting Number: SP002715P
Posting Date: 02/12/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions: Applications received by 3/1/2021 will receive first consideration.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. One of the nation’s land-grant research universities, U of I is a noted national leader in student-centered learning and interdisciplinary research that promotes public service. Our work serves businesses and communities, advancing the pursuit of diversity, citizenship and global outreach.