Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking an Assistant Manager for the Environmental and Occupational Health Science Institute (EOHSI). Under the direction of the Building manager the position provides support for all the laboratory and facility needs of the institute, from equipment relocation to surplus to waste disposal to all other duties as assigned.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
Assists with space management, scheduling maintenance and repair and works and responds to emergency calls.
Manages all building/institute infrastructure while implementing preventive maintenance programs.
Works closely with project managers, Principal Investigators, and vendors to address special scientific needs of the researchers and instruments; supports Health and Safety Officer working with Safety Committee.
Responsible for complex problem solving; and interprets, communicates, and implements policies and practices for differing needs of a diverse scientific clientele.
Provides administrative support for general building function to include personnel management (position entry into ROCS) and purchasing (entering POs into Marketplace).
Minimum Education and Experience:
● Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and/or experience. ● A minimum of two years of directly related experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Good understanding of the building operations and facilities, including laboratories, mechanical rooms, and laboratory HVAC systems. ● Good interpersonal and organizational skills. ● Excellent communication and some computer skills. ● Fundamental understanding of building operations and working knowledge of all building infrastructure and operations. ● Knowledge of Laboratory Safety Procedures: ● Must have working knowledge of all REHS safety protocols procedures including how to handle a chemical spill. ● Knowledge of security operations and procedures: Liaison with Rutgers Security Technologies Office. Supports EOHSI's Security Officer and maintains master key and access card inventory for the institute. ● Working knowledge of card key access system. ● Ability to enter purchase orders as required for laboratory and building administration support (working knowledge of Marketplace). ● Ability to manage surplus pick-up requests. ● Use of personal vehicle in order to travel for business demands; a valid driver's license would be required for this position.
● Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as engineering or facilities management, ● Ability to create diagrams and line drawings with AutoCAD ● Familiarity with electrical and plumbing systems required to support state of the art chemical analysis equipment (e.g., gas chromatograph, mass spectrometer, ICPMS) and genetic analysis equipment (e.g., QPCR, gene sequencer) is essential. ● Familiarity with shared lab equipment (e.g., refrigerated centrifuge, ultra-low temperature freezers, film processor, autoclave) is important. ● Ability to troubleshoot mechanical, electrical, and building systems as necessary is required. ● Minor emergency repair capabilities. ● Demonstrate knowledge of the environments, and physical conditions required for the safe and efficient operation of sophisticated laboratory equipment including analytical chemistry equipment clinic. ● Experience with video monitoring systems. ● Familiar with Rutgers Public Safety procedures and guidelines
● Fume hoods, Fume hood control motors, Biosafety cabinets, Autoclave, Film processor and developer, Anemometer, Scintillation, Incubation Orbital Shaker, -80 Freezers, -20 LCD projectors, Voltage meters, Excel, MS word, Power point, AutoCAD,
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
● Office/Research lab setting environment, lift/moving boxes weight up to 25- 50 lbs, walking, standing, hearing, climbing, moderate noise. ● Often requires off-hour response for both emergency and planned maintenance activities.
Clean Driving Record
Posting Number: 21ST1728
Location: Busch (RU-New Brunswick)
Internal Number: 135779
About Rutgers University
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state's preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Rutgers is dedicated to teaching that meets the highest standards of excellence; to conducting research that breaks new ground; and to turning knowledge into solutions for local, national, and global communities. As it was at our founding in 1766, the heart of our mission is preparing students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. Rutgers teaches across the full educational spectrum: preschool to precollege; undergraduate to graduate and postdoctoral; and continuing education for professional and personal advancement. Rutgers is New Jersey's land-grant institution and one of the nation's foremost research universities, and as such, we educate, make discoveries, serve as an engine of economic growth, and generate ideas for improving people's lives.