1. Assemble, install, test, and maintain electrical equipment and appliances or building wiring using hand tools and power tools.
2. Inspect the exterior and appropriate interior areas of assigned buildings on a regular basis. Identify, prioritize and perform or report necessary maintenance activities. Promptly report safety and security concerns.
3. Maintain regular contact with sources of work assignments (i.e. supervisor, clerk, assignment board, and the RT Tracker work order tracking system) so that necessary activities are carried out in a timely fashion. Promptly report on completion of activities.
4. Extensive experience in servicing, adjusting, repairing, replacement of building components, systems and furnishings, based on observed needs, work orders, preventive maintenance schedules, or other sources. Examples of typical activities are: advanced trouble-shoot skills of equipment and systems to determine causes of problems; repair or replace electrical fixtures and/or associated wiring; replace burned-out or broken light bulbs and tubes (interior and exterior); repair worn or damaged walls, floors, doors (including door hardware, cores and keys).This includes repair blinds, window and hardware, repair damaged or malfunctioning washroom fixtures and associated piping; service and repair HVAC, refrigeration and fire protection systems; and seal water & gas leaks. Report the need for more extensive work by others, including outside contractors, to immediate supervisor.
5. Advanced knowledge and skills required to carry out projects, which involve installations, renovations, remodeling, etc., as directed by supervisor, either individually or in a lead role overseeing other maintenance staff and student workers.
6. Maintain building ingress/egress areas (i.e., sidewalks, stairways) in a serviceable condition by removing debris and snow and ice.
7. Advanced ability and skill to design and fabricate building components and furnishings such as custom counters, shelving and display cabinets.
8. Coordinate all activities with building users and contractors (i.e. food service, cleaning services) so as to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to building activities.
9. Flexibility to be assigned to temporarily work at other locations to substitute for personnel not available or to supplement personnel during times of unusually heavy workload.
10. May be assigned to act in place of immediate supervisor during his/her absence, including the assumption of responsibility for that person's duties and tasks.
11. Install and/or repair exterior building appurtenances such as fences and railings.
12. Move or assist in moving equipment, furniture, materials and supplies to/from storage areas or between locations.
13. Open (unlock) and/or secure (lock) buildings as required.
14. Travel to vendors to pick up materials and supplies.
15. Perform other job-related duties and tasks as assigned.
A high school diploma is required.
Extensive electrical experience is required for this position. A minimum of 10 years of electrical experience and a minimum of 5 years of experience in building maintenance, construction or related field is required.
Licenses or Certifications:
A valid driver's license is required. Electrical License is preferred.
General Maintenance II is primarily responsible for the maintenance of electrical equipment and building wiring and lighting. To ensure that assigned buildings, including plumbing, furnishings, mechanical and electrical systems therein, are functional on a continual basis. To ensure the safety and security of all college constituents, students, faculty, administration, staff, and visitors.
North Central College is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce. NCC provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please notify the Office of Human Resources. Determinations for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Organization Type: Higher Education Institution