Special Instruction to Applicants:Please attach a cover letter and a resume in the Supporting Documents section of the application.
The SEA cleanroom research scientist is responsible for assisting in the management, maintenance and operations of specialized scientific research equipment of the Clean Room Facility in Space Science for the Office of Research, through the Shared Equipment Authority. This position is also responsible for providing support to other SEA facilities as needed, especially the Helium Recovery Facility.
* Responsible for the full life cycle of assigned research equipment including assisting with negotiation of the technical specifications for new research equipment, overseeing vendor installation, and operating, maintaining, troubleshooting, consulting with vendor regarding repairs and overseeing repairs, as appropriate, and facilitating routine maintenance of the equipment
* Stays abreast of latest technological advances in research and informs faculty and stakeholders of new methodology. Pursues the implementation of new techniques needed for research on the existing instrumentation
* Provides basic instruction to undergraduates, graduates, postdoctoral fellows, faculty and external users, performs brief demonstrations
* Performs various basic administrative functions
* Performs all other duties as assigned
* Master's Degree
* 2 years hands-on instrument maintenance, training and operation in a cleanroom environment
* Ability to troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment
* Broad base knowledge of science with some experience in an applicable research area and the associated research equipment
* Excellent critical thinking, research and technical skills
* Excellent editing, presentation, verbal and written communication skills
* Willingness to work autonomously, as well as with other staff and faculty
* Proven skill with instrumentation and ability to learn quickly and master new experimental methods
* Master's in science or engineering field (chemistry, material science, chemical engineering, etc.)
* Three years experience with hands-on instrument maintenance and operation in a cleanroom environment
* Ability to complete basic repairs on scientific instruments, especially support tools such as pumps, chillers, gas-handling equipment, etc.
* Basic knowledge of mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems
* Ability to operate and train users on cleanroom instruments
* Experience handling cryogens
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Current Rice University COVID policies, which include vaccination, face mask, testing, gatherings, occupancy limits, and travel policies can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies
As a leading research university with a distinctive commitment to undergraduate education, Rice University aspires to pathbreaking research, unsurpassed teaching and contributions to the betterment of our world. It seeks to fulfill this mission by cultivating a diverse community of learning and discovery that produces leaders across the spectrum of human endeavor.