Job Description Summary *The position schedule: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm*
The physical demands of this position range from LIGHT to MEDIUM-HEAVY. This position involves installing, maintaining and repairing a variety of HVAC, kitchen and refrigeration equipment. Maintaining oil and gas fired boilers and related heating equipment is also required in this position. These are completed in accordance with all applicable OSHA and NFPA regulations and established schedules and procedures at Bentley University. Standing, walking, lifting, carrying and reaching are performed on a frequent to constant basis. Bending, pushing, pulling, climbing, kneeling and twisting are performed on an occasional to frequent basis. The heaviest physical demands are required during handling of furniture, heavier appliances and refrigeration equipment, heat pumps, motors, etc. These activities require handling of 25-50 pounds of load resistance on a frequent basis and 50-75 pounds on an occasional basis. Heavier tasks may require the assistance of (2) or more co-workers.
1. Installs, operates and maintains all Energy Management Systems associated with HVAC and refrigeration equipment. 2. Works from piping diagrams, schematics, blueprints and sketches and/or verbal instructions to maintain related equipment and systems. 3. Installs, operates, maintains and repairs a variety of HVAC, kitchen and refrigeration equipment such as centrifugal and reciprocating refrigeration compressors, fan coil units, heat pumps and related piping and pumps. Maintains, inspects, operates and repairs central chiller system when necessary for repair and preventive maintenance measures. Lubricates and cleans pumps, motors, fans, machinery equipment and operating hardware. Dismantles machines and devices for servicing, repair or replacement of parts. Adjusts devices, instruments, belts, etc. Maintains oil and gas fired boilers and related equipment for heating. Cleans air conditioning and exhaust diffusers. 4. Will be required to reclaim refrigerant in accordance with EAP regulation. 5. Participates in training to keep and acquire knowledge, skills, and abilities to remain current with standard operational practices and revised standards. 6. Reports building damages, malfunctioning equipment, needed maintenance and/or repairs in assigned work areas. 7. Responds to emergency call-in situations. 8. Interacts professionally with members of the Bentley community. 9. Inputs data into the computerized work order system, recording time and work order information.
1. Provides appropriate support in major campus activities including but not limited to: snow removal, freshman orientation, and open house, opening/closing of school, baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate commencement. 2. Follows proper clean-up and recycling procedures, leaving work area clean and vacuumed, as well as observes all safety rules and regulations (including OSHA and NFPA regulations) while handling and/or caring for Bentley tools and equipment, to avoid injury to self and others. 3. May be required to assist other trades as directed by Facilities Manager. 4. Performs all other related duties necessary to meet Facilities Management requirements.
1. Associates Degree (Air Conditioning/Refrigeration) or Trade school plus a minimum of 5 years applicable full-time experience working with computerized energy management systems required. 2. Must hold a valid Massachusetts refrigeration license. 3. Must be physically able to perform the essential duties of the position as set forth in this Position Content Description Document. 4. Must be able to read, write and interpret documents in the English language, e.g. safety rules, material safety data sheets (MSDS), operating repair, installation and procedure instruction manuals. 5. Must be able to effectively interact and communicate with co-workers and supervisors. 6. Must be available for emergency call-in situations. 7. Use of motor vehicle required for transportation of tools and equipment for job related duties. Must hold and maintain a valid, unrestricted United States driver's license, with an insurable driving history as determined by Bentley's insurance carrier. May be required to drive a Bentley issued vehicle. 8. Properly uses and cares for Bentley tools, radios and equipment.
1. Oil Burner License
1. May be exposed to seasonal temperature extremes, including occasional wet and slippery conditions.
2. Occasionally working near moving mechanical parts is required.
3. Close spaces, working at heights, and climbing both ladders and stairs should also be expected on an occasional to frequent basis.
4. Noise levels may vary from moderate to occasionally high depending on the work situation.
5. Safety glasses with side shields, goggles, latex and work gloves, and hearing protection may all be required depending on the job task. Bentley uniforms and safety shoes are required to be worn at all times while working (shoes in compliance with ANSI Z- 41.1).
6. Power drills, power lifts, snow blowers, ladders, electrical and pressure test equipment, assorted wrenches, etc. New employees must provide basic hand tools including, but not limited to: flashlights, hammers, screw drivers, pliers, etc
1. Ability to squat, kneel and maintain bent postures from 5 minutes up to 10 minutes for a continuous duration, on an occasional to frequent basis.
2. Ability to walk on level, uneven and inclined surfaces on a sustained basis and climb steps up to 24 steps and ladders up to 18-ft on an occasional to frequent basis.
3. Ability to lift up to 25-pounds individually and up to 100-pounds with assistance, 0-72 inchheight range, on an occasional to frequent basis.
4. Ability to carry up to 25-pounds up to 100 yards on an occasional to frequent basis.
5. Ability to push and pull against resistances up to 100-pounds on an occasional basis.
6. Ability to extend reach with both arms, from floor level to overhead, handling up to 25-pounds on an occasional basis.
7. Ability to manipulate small parts, machine and vehicle controls and various hand tools on a frequent basis.
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
Bentley University is one of the nation's leading business schools, dedicated to preparing a new kind of business leader and one with the deep technical skills, the broad global perspective and the high ethical standards required to make a difference in an ever-changing world. To achieve our goal, we infuse our advanced business curriculum with the richness of a liberal arts education. The results are graduates who are making an impact in their chosen fields and turning their passions into success stories. Located on a classic New England campus just minutes from Boston, Bentley is a dynamic community of leaders, scholars and creative thinkers.