Class Specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are note intended to reflect all duties within the job. DEFINITION/GENERAL PURPOSE To perform a variety of routine duties involved in the planning, care, and maintenance of park, recreational grounds; and to perform special projects as required. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS This is an entry-level position. This classification is distinguished from the Grounds Lead by the performance of the more routine tasks and duties. Since this class is an entry-level class, employees may have only limited related work experience. SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED Receives immediate supervision from higher-level maintenance staff. Exercise supervision over community service work-study students, volunteers, and SWAP workers. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES - Essential duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Perform a variety of park and grounds maintenance duties including operating power and hand tools to edge, and hand weed, grounds, flower beds, and other landscaped areas; plant, prune or trims hedges, trees, shrubs and plants; water assigned areas by hand and/or with sprinklers; trim shrubs, pull weeds, rake recreation area, and mow, maintain and renovate turf areas. 2. Prepare and conduct safety inspections. 3. Pick up litter from grounds and empty trash containers throughout parks and recreation areas. 4. Patrol and inspect parks to ensure safety of the public; note potential safety hazards; review with the supervisor for appropriate action. 5. Assist in the installation of park improvements. 6. Inspect, maintain, and repair playground equipment; remove possible hazards to ensure safety.
7. Participate in pest control operations as needed and with proper authority. 8. Assist in preparing for District special projects and events. 9. Assist with cleaning project as needed. 10. Clean and stock park bathrooms. 11. Participate in setting forms, mixing, pouring, and finishing concrete. 12. Participate in the installation and maintenance of irrigation systems. 13. Performs periodic painting, plumbing, and carpentry work as needed. 14. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge of: 1. Basic techniques of lawn, garden care, and organic gardening.
3. Basic safety practices. 4. Operating and maintaining irrigation and sprinkler systems. 5. Basic maintenance methods and techniques. 6. Techniques and procedures in basic carpentry, metal, masonry, painting and mechanical work.
1. Learn the care, operation, and maintenance of a variety of power tools and equipment. 2. Learn the principles and practices of plant maintenance including the pruning and trimming of a variety of shrubs. 3. Learn proper watering and irrigation techniques as applied to individual plant life. 4. Operate a bicycle safely. 5. Observe safety hazards and react accordingly. 6. Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
7. Communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing. 8. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work. 9. Operates a variety of equipment or vehicles; makes minor repairs such as sharpening blades; performs routine vehicle maintenance and equipment safety inspection. 10. Perform unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance duties.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND TRAINING Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain knowledge and abilities would be: Experience: One year of experience assisting in grounds maintenance, irrigation specialist, and/or construction. Training: Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance, supplemented by, specialized training in maintenance. License or Certification: Possession of a valid Class "C" California driver's license with a satisfactory driving record. WORKING CONDITIONS Environmental Conditions:
Office/field environment; exposure to inclement weather conditions, ability to work closely with others. Physical Conditions: Positions in this class require frequent lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 25 pounds, and occasionally weighing up to 50 pounds, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and working close to the ground; handling and reaching, using tools and equipment.
FLSA/Wage Classification: Non-Exempt
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 – 26.00/hr.
IMPORTANT APPLICANT INFORMATION
IMPORTANT APPLICANT INFORMATION
IVRPD provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, IVRPD complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. IVRPD expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of IVRPD's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including termination.
IVRPD RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY OR REVOKE, WITHOUT NOTICE, ANY OR ALL OF THE PROVISIONS OF THIS BULLETIN PRIOR TO THE TIME OF APPOINTMENT, AND TO WAIVE ANY NON-SUBSTANTIVE JOB REQUIREMENT AND MAKE SUBJECTIVE DECISIONS INTERPRETING AND ASSESSING THE SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS OF ANY CANDIDATE, INCLUDING THE DETERMINATION THAT NONE OF THE CANDIDATES, EVEN THOSE WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, ARE APPROPRIATE FOR THE POSITION