The USC Viterbi School of Engineering (https://viterbischool.usc.edu/) is innovative, elite, and internationally recognized for creating new models of education, research, and commercialization that are firmly rooted in real world needs. The schoolâs first priorities are the education of outstanding students and the pursuit and publication of new research.
There is a key need in the School of Engineering John D. O'Brien Nanofabrication Laboratory for a Nanofabrication Lab Technician. Located in the basement of the Michelson Center for Convergent Biosciences (MCB), the Nanofabrication Lab is a 10,000 square foot, class 100/1000 state-of-the art,
newly constructed cleanroom. The Nanofabrication Lab provides USC faculty and researchers with a World Class Facility for Micro and Nanofabrication of devices, circuits, and materials synthesis and will have applications in Engineering, Biosciences, Material Science, and Physics.
We are looking for a highly motivated Nanofabrication Lab Technician. Reporting to the Cleanroom Manager, this individual will do repair, maintenance of cleanroom equipment and facilities, maintain inventory/procurement of equipment related parts and materials, support the cleanroom users with training, developing nanofabrication process and collaborate with facility staff and research users to identify tool operation issues and address those issues promptly with proper maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting. The ideal candidate should be customer service oriented and contribute towards improving the operation of the facility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, schedule and perform maintenance on clean room process equipment and their supporting tools, such as deposition tools â EBeam Evaporator, Sputtering, ALD systems, Etching - RIE, ICP, XeF2 systems, Lithography â Spinner, Mask aligner, Direct Maskless writing, Metrology - SEM, Profilometer, Wet Benches. Equipment accessories such as vacuum pumps and chillers. Trouble shooting and repair are required.
- Maintain equipment manuals, repair notes, processes, establish quality monitoring and improve the Yield and performance of the Cleanroom equipment and the process tools.
- Perform routine inspection, operation, and improvement of facilities such as HVAC, Exhaust, DI water system, PCW, house vacuum, air compressor, acid waste neutralization system, gas delivery system, scrubber, TGMS and particle counting.
- Perform inventory of clean room supplies, chemicals, gases, and record keeping.
- Handling hazardous materials, chemicals, and gases. Work with EH&S and in charge of chemical waste disposal.
- Report issues and maintenance updates to lab manager and work with clean room users closely.
- Develop fabrication processes and qualify equipment. Create and enforce operation protocols. Provide lab safety and equipment training to users.
- Coordinate with EH&S and FMS to establish lab safety and emergence response procedures. Lab safety inspection and insuring resolution of safety issues.
- Anticipate and take proactive measures to make sure clean room running smoothly.
- Identify and address potential areas for improvement to maintain high levels of equipment availability and process stability.
- Be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize activities. Flexibility to real time request.
- Work with vendors and field service.
- Coordinate with EH&S the general laboratory safety inspections.
- Develop, and keep chemical and equipment SOPâs updated.
- Provide facility support/maintenance for our old cleanroom until its fully decommissioned.
Required Applicant Documents:
These documents may be submitted as one PDF. Applications will not be considered complete without these documents.
Related Graduate Study
Combined experience/Education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Field of Interest:
Directly related education and experience in research specialization with advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures and analysis methods and ability to supervise on a regular or project basis.
Master's degree in related scientific discipline or combination of education and relevant experience or five years of relevant work experience.
Technical knowledge and hands-on experience on mechanical tools, vacuum system, and electronics.
Experience in Micro and Nano Fabrication processes and technology, familiar with clean room safety practices.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations.
As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.