Location: Houston, TX, United States,
The HVAC Technician II performs skilled work involving the routine installation, adjustment, operation, repair and maintenance of building heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and refrigeration equipment; will also perform more complex work alongside and/or with close supervision from the HVAC Supervisor and/or HVAC Lead Technician. This is an intermediate to advance level HVAC Technician position.
The ideal candidate has experience working in a team environment and experience working with HVAC-specific mechanical equipment (air handlers, AC units, chillers, etc.) and refrigeration systems (condensers, compressors, evaporators, etc.)
Salary: $19.80 - $23.00 per hour
- Installs, maintains, and repairs air conditioning and refrigeration units
- Troubleshoots, adjusts, calibrates, and performs minor repairs of HVAC control components and systems in response to service requests
- Repairs and adjusts air handlers, fan coil units, RTUs, chillers, ice machines, etc.
- Performs preventative maintenance on HVAC and refrigeration equipment and systems
- Repairs and maintains pumps, valves, and pipe fittings for HVAC-R systems
- Enters work orders and daily work time using CMMS
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Required Education / Experience
- HS Diploma or equivalent
- 2 years of experience in industrial, institutional or commercial HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Universal EPA Refrigerant Certification
- Texas Registered HVAC Technician
- General knowledge of institutional commercial HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Ability to read mechanical blueprints and electrical schematic diagrams associated with HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Intermediate to advance level mechanical aptitude
- Intermediate to advance level analytical problem-solving skills
- Effective verbal and written communications skills
- General computer aptitude
- HVAC and refrigeration training courses or completed associated degree
- HVAC/R Certified Technician
- Background with building controls systems, particularly those found on school or university campuses
- Knowledge of HVAC and refrigeration safety standards
- Valid Texas Driver's License (or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment) required with no more than three moving violations or at-fault accidents within the past 36 months and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past 5 years
- Must be able to lift loads no greater than 50 lbs.
- Must be able to climb stairs, ladders, scaffolding, and work around confined areas with piping and wiring obstructions, as needed, to access equipment.
- Requires moderate to heavy physical activity, including bending, stooping, climbing, balancing, standing, and walking up to 8 hours per day. Occasionally required to enter utility tunnels and confined spaces.
- Physical Environment:
- Requires exposure to high-pressure boilers and steam piping, high voltage electricity, high noise levels, rotating and other potentially dangerous equipment
- Requires work in mechanical rooms, tunnels, labs, attics, crawl spaces, non-conditioned spaces, and dusty, dirty, and wet conditions.
- Requires personal protective equipment such as hearing protection, safety shoes, and safety glasses
- Work Hours and Travel:
- After hours work may be required or other work outside the regular schedule may be needed
- Available on a continuous "on call" basis for response to problems and emergencies that affect campus operations
- May require periodic travel to classes, conferences, and vendor sites as needed
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency
Rice University HR / Benefits website
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Current Rice University COVID policies, which include vaccination, face mask, testing, gatherings, occupancy limits, and travel policies can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies