Location: Rockville, Maryland
Montgomery College is seeking to hire a full-time HVAC Mechanic I to work in the College's Facilities Department. Work hours are typically between 7:00 a.m. 3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday with some evening and weekend hours required depending on the need. This position is a bargaining, non-exempt, grade 21 position. The position is located in Rockville, MD., and is not eligible for telework.
Under the direction of a Licensed HVAC Journeyman, incumbents in this job class perform semi-skilled HVAC work including installation, operation, modification, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
Contacts and interaction vary and may involve multiple constituencies such as direct interaction with the faculty, colleagues, managers, directors, students, vendors, assigned staff, contractors and consultants for the purpose of providing and receiving instructions and information.
Montgomery College promotes and creates a working and learning environment rooted in the basic tenets of fairness, diversity, and inclusiveness.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Performs general HVAC maintenance related tasks.
- Assists journey level mechanics in installation and repair of commercial mechanical air-conditioning, heating and ventilating equipment and control systems.
- Diagnoses and troubleshoots air distribution, air balancing, stratification, building insulation and vapor deficiencies.
- Repairs or replace failed sensors, transmitters and transducers for control systems.
- Repairs, retrofits or installs new direct digital control systems' (DDC) hardware and adjust boilers, chillers, air handling units, motor controls, refrigerant systems operating parameters from their own interface panels or the building automation systems (BAS).
- Installs, maintains and retrofits new electro-mechanical relay logic control circuits, pneumatic logic controls, damper or valve actuators and/or variable frequency drives.
- Maintains records of work performed and parts and materials used.
- Maintains records of equipment operation logs to include temperature, pressures, volts, amps, safety inspections and equipment refrigerant records.
- Maintains records of equipment failures and repairs.
- Receives formal and on-the-job instruction and training from a Licensed HVAC Journeyman to acquire and develop knowledge, skills and abilities of the trade.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required. The equivalent combination of education, training, certification and/or experience that provides the required knowledge and expertise to perform the essential functions of the job may be considered.
- One year of experience in heating, cooling and ventilation systems.
- Basic familiarity with electrical and mechanical components and functions of HVAC systems and/or boilers and tools of the trade.
- Fundamental knowledge of the design, maintenance, repair and use of DDC and HVAC systems, chiller operations and related software.
- Basic knowledge of operations and maintenance of buildings and building systems to include heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing and energy systems. Fundamental knowledge of the methods, procedures and techniques of the HVAC trade.
- Basic knowledge of occupational hazards and ability to proficiently and safely use tools and equipment pertinent to the trade.
- Fundamental knowledge of building and fire codes related to work performed in the HVAC trade.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, control diagrams, HVAC equipment and electrical schematic control wiring diagrams.
- Ability to understand material and supply requirements. Ability to read, understand and follow written, verbal and visual instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively verbally and in writing. Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Basic computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), the Internet and Windows-based applications.
Licenses and Certifications:
Maryland State HVAC apprentice license. EPA Universal 608 certification is preferred. Valid driver's license is required.
Hiring Range $22.22 to $28.88/ per hour. Initial salary placement is based on candidate experience and internal equity.
- Position is open until filled.
- For consideration, you must attach a resume which provides the month and year(s) worked at each employer and detailed experience to reflect the duties and responsibilities performed at each employer.
- Click Here to apply online
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
Successful completion of a background check and degree verification (if applicable).
For international degrees, you must provide US degree equivalency verified by a nationally recognized credential evaluation service.
Participation in a retirement plan. If you are retired from the Maryland State System, you may not enroll in either the pension, or optional retirement plan, per state law.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
Open Until Filled