Location: Northampton, Massachusetts
Internal Number: R-202300295
If you have any questions about the position or our application process, reach out to us at email@example.com.
Smith College invites applications for a HVAC/R Systems Operator within the Facilities Management department. This position works Monday-Friday 7:00-3:00pm Pay rate starting at $29.08 an hour.
A career at Smith College offers multiple rewards--including access to our comprehensive and competitive benefits program. We offer something for everyone, to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. Our employees can choose from four different medical plans available through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts - something for every need and budget. We offer a choice of two dental plans through Delta Dental and a Vision Plan through EyeMed. From braces to glasses, we have your whole family covered. The Smith College Retirement Plan is a 403(b) Plan that allows you to defer a portion of your salary and choose from a broad menu of investment options. Even if you don't make your own contributions, the college provides a significant contribution to your account each year--equal to 9% of your compensation! You also get life insurance and long-term disability at no cost to you. That's not all: Smith offers generous paid time off - vacation, personal and sick time - ID Theft protection, health and dependent care subsidies, auto & home insurance discounts, prescription copay assistance... the list goes on and on!
Under the direction of the manager of mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) trades or designee, operate, repair and maintain the HVAC/R systems for the college.
* The operator is responsible for the operations, servicing and maintenance of heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment and control systems. Servicing and maintenance includes, but is not limited to the installation, set-up, calibration, troubleshooting, upgrading, monitoring and repairing a wide variety of HVAC/R equipment and control systems in all campus facilities. This includes the daily monitoring and operation of a microprocessor based energy management system and a 4,000-ton chiller plant, which includes both mechanical and absorption chillers.
* Program changes in the energy management system as required.
* Inspect, test, lubricate, clean, adjust and replace parts (such as fan belts, bearings, couplings, etc.) and repair and adjust varied types of mechanical-electrical equipment (such as fans, motors, pumps, compressors, filters, engines, generators, refrigeration equipment and controls, etc.) on a regular schedule or as assigned.
* Service, operate and monitor building ventilation, heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems to control temperature and humidity within the buildings.
* Service, operate and monitor swimming pool pumps, water treatment and filters.
* Record necessary operating information, maintain preventive maintenance records and service records on all pieces of equipment.
* Maintain metering equipment, log associated data and analyze systems to maintain accurate records.
* Ensure specified temperature, humidity levels and control points are being maintained efficiently and at the desired levels. Report more serious issues to manager.
* Maintain areas surrounding mechanical equipment, keeping them clean and free from dirt, grease and oil, and in safe operating condition. Replace, install or maintain all safety devices on equipment.
* Observe OSHA safety regulations and practices at all times.
* Be responsible for reading and recording the data of various types of energy metering devices such as electric, gas, steam and condensate meters.
* Participate in training sessions related to technical and personal performance and apply training to improve system operation. Assist in analyzing existing systems and their schematics to suggest operating improvements.
* Drive college vehicles as assigned.
* Responsible for cleaning vehicles, inspecting for damage and performing visual check prior to using. Reporting any issues discovered to the supervisor immediately.
* Report all necessary maintenance and repair items via the work order system.
* May respond to after-hours calls on a rotational basis as needed.
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
All employees are expected to participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Minimum Qualifications (knowledge, skills, education, experience, certifications, licenses)
*Must have a valid driver's license and furnish own transportation as required to carry out college work. A mileage allowance is provided, per the union contract. Must complete and comply with all college driving credentialing requirements. Upon award of this position, a Division of Motor Vehicles background check will be completed.
*A Massachusetts State Refrigeration Technicians license, desired
*Certified Pool Operators license, preferred or ability to obtain within 1 year of hire.
*OSHA 10 or 30-hour certification may be required.
*Must be proficient in the operation of automated control systems.
*Must be able to safely lift and carry up to fifty pounds regularly and up to ninety pounds occasionally. Must be able to bend, stoop, kneel, walk, stand, climb stairs and ladders and work in very warm/cold and cramped spaces for extended periods of time.
*Must demonstrate proficiency in accessing the internet, using the Smith College email, finance, payroll and calendar systems as well as the work order system.
*High school/vocational diploma, GED equivalent or combination of education and experience. An associates degree in engineering or related field is preferred. Equivalent work experience will be considered as a substitute for such a degree.
*Additional technical training in the operation and maintenance of heating, ventilating and/or air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC/R) systems, DDC controls and related fields is required.
*Must have a minimum of five years of field experience in the maintenance, servicing, installation, set-up, calibration, troubleshooting and repair of all HVAC/R equipment and controls and thoroughly understand the interaction of such equipment with all related HVAC systems.
*Familiar with ALC and Alerton systems.
*Working knowledge of absorption and centrifugal and screw chillers, preferred.
* Must be familiar with variable refrigerant flow HVAC technology.
Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
* Must be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of all parts, terms, schematic drawings, tools and equipment, design, servicing, maintenance and operation of HVAC/R and DDC control systems.
* Must possess ability to safely operate, maintain and repair all college related plant systems and equipment, including, but not limited to chillers, air handling units, distribution systems, A/C units, controls, etc.
* Must not be allergic to chemicals and materials normally used in the HVAC/R or pool maintenance operation.
* Must be capable of wearing respiratory masks and other PPE as required for the job.
* Ability to perform routine welding and machinist work is desirable.
* Demonstrate strong communication skills including oral and written and electronic.
* Commitment to maintain high standards of maintenance.
* Must have knowledge of OSHA regulations for the safety of the college employees, its users and property.
* Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
* Must demonstrate understanding of chemicals used, including but not limited to reading and understanding Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
* Perform duties and responsibilities with a view toward department and college, including, but not limited to energy conservation.
* Must have ability to operate and maintain all hand and power tools as required by position.
* Must possess ability to read and interpret blueprints, diagrams, sketches and other specifications.
* Must have excellent customer service skills and have noted ability to work well with staff, students and all members of the college community.
* Must possess strong commitment to maintain high standards of maintenance.
* Must have a clear understanding of the union contract and all college policies.
* Ability to use good judgment to take appropriate independent action to carry out the primary functions of the job.
* Must be proficient in working with lift systems, ladders, scaffolding and safety harnesses, etc.
For the care and safety of our community, Smith College requires that all employees be vaccinated as a condition of employment and as such, the incumbent will be required to be immunized against COVID-19 on or before their first day of employment. Proof of vaccination status will be required. Individuals may seek medical or religious exemption with HR, but must do so prior to their arrival.
Please attach BOTH a current resume and a cover letter in order for your application to be considered for this position . Be sure you have provided all attachments before submitting your application.
You will NOT be able to attach additional files after you have hit the Submit button.
Review of applications will begin
May 23, 2023
Grade 263 2
About Smith College
Located in Northampton, MA, Smith College is one of the largest women's colleges in the country and is dedicated to excellence in teaching and research across the liberal arts. A faculty of outstanding scholars interact with students in small classes, as advisors, and through student-faculty research projects. The College is a member of the Five College Consortium with Amherst, Hampshire and Mt. Holyoke Colleges, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Students cross-enroll and faculty cross-teach across the Five Colleges.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 151B, it is the policy of Smith College to provide reasonable accommodation when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with a disability, unless such accommodation would cause an undue hardship. The policy regarding requests for reasonable accommodation applies to all aspects of employment, including the application process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact our recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity and a culture of inclusion among students, staff, faculty, and administration are crucial to the mission and values of Smith College. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, color, religions, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or veteran status in the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of any of its programs and activities, as specified by all applicable laws and regulations. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.