Associate Director of Facilities and Capital Planning Management
Essex County College
Location: Newark, New Jersey
Internal Number: 2818
Under the supervision of the Executive Dean of Information Technology & Operations/CIO or designee, the Associate Director of Facilities & Capital Planning Management will assist in the supervision of work performed by the building services staff, ensure projects are built as per approved construction processes, standards, within budget and on schedule, and assist with other matters pertaining to the operation of the facilities department.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Ensure that institutional facilities and grounds are maintained in accordance with relevant regulations, agency standards and fiscal considerations.
2. Engage and manage outside architectural/engineering design and consulting services.
3. Coordinate and lead internal design review meetings to ensure alignment with campus architectural, material, furniture and accessible design standards.
4. Meet with end users and develop scope of work; develop Job Order Contracts (JOC) and meet competitive bid requirements. Track and Manage projects for required approvals.
5. Evaluate project costs and change orders.
6. Establish standards for grounds maintenance; facilities maintenance, pest control; safety; equipment; repairs, staff training and related activity and services
7. Establish standards and work procedures for building services staff in accordance with college policy.
8. Interview, select, train, evaluate and recommend termination of building services personnel in accordance with college policy and collective bargaining unit.
9. Oversee daily activities and reassign workload based on attendance or college priority.
10. Develop policies and procedures related to the maintenance and safety of facilities, grounds and equipment.
11. Insure staff are trained and informed on college priorities, projects and policies.
12. Insure good employee relations and adherence to labor contract provisions.
13. Conduct purchase supplies, equipment, uniforms, etc. and maintain an accurate inventory system.
14. Manage time cards and attendance and ensure that standard personnel practices are followed.
15. Maintain strict confidentiality and security of staff and student records.
16. Prepare routine, special and ancillary reports as required.
17. Perform other related duties as required.
1. Master's degree.
2. Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision.
3. Willingness to work an extended, flexible schedule, such as weekends and evenings according to the demands of the job.
4. Strong problem solving, decision making, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
5. Ability to exercise critical human relations skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with college employees and in providing quality customer service.
6. Commitment to working in a multi-cultural environment.
Minimum Education Requirements: Master's Degree
1. Master's degree in Business Administration or related area.
2. Five or more years supervisory experience in maintenance or custodial service.
3. Experience coordinating and administering multiple construction projects.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of project management and contract law and building codes.
5. Demonstrated knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems.
6. Certification in Industrial Maintenance and Safety or related area.
7. Certification or licensing in appropriate fields of HVAC.
Essex County College is an open-door public access community college that is committed to providing quality educational programs and life-long learning opportunities at a very affordable cost. The College is open to students with a wide variety of backgrounds and abilities. We take pride in the richness of our diversity and our nurturing atmosphere, which encourages students who might not otherwise aspire to higher education to enroll and excel.