Under the supervision of the Director of Facilities Management or Designee, the Maintenance Technician will perform various skilled tasks in the repair and maintenance of machinery, buildings and equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Perform various skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the repair and maintenance of machinery, buildings and equipment.
2. Maintain and install electrical conduits, wiring, switching devices, controls, outlets, fixtures, motors and other such equipment.
3. Test and calibrate pneumatic HVAC controls.
4. Troubleshoot and repair problems associated with HVAC and its related mechanical and electrical systems.
5. Facilitate skilled maintenance activities including construction, welding, brazing, soldering, plumbing, painting, masonry, carpentry, locksmithing and other related tasks.
6. Insure alterations, repair and maintenance of furnishings, floors, roofs, stairways, partitions, electrical systems, doors, and other building structures.
7. Insure that all work performed is in accordance with accepted trade practices, codes and requirements.
8. Respond to emergency calls after regularly scheduled working hours when necessary.
9. Prepare accurate records, logs or requests for inventory, preventive maintenance, material and supplies, schedules.
10. Complete general building maintenance activities and upkeep, snow removal and other related tasks.
11. Inspect infested structure and recommend and implement treatment, basing diagnosis on knowledge of pests habits, fumigants, rodenticides and insecticides, and structural conditions.
12. Maintain strict confidentiality and security of records.
13. Prepare routine, special and ancillary reports as required.
14. Perform other related duties as required.
1. High School diploma or equivalent.
2. Ability to read general operating instructions and to write simple reports.
3. Ability to routinely lift, push, or pull up to 70 pounds.
4. Ability to pass physical examination requirements as established by Health Services.
5. Appropriate vocational training, certification or licensing.
6. Excellent interpersonal skills.
7. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
8. Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Minimum Education Requirements: High School Diploma
1. Demonstrated experience in building maintenance and repair.
2. Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trades involved.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of plumbing, electrical construction, and air conditioning equipment.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of various types of equipment used in the building trade.
Essex County College is an open-door public access community college that is committed to providing quality educational programs and life-long learning opportunities at a very affordable cost. The College is open to students with a wide variety of backgrounds and abilities. We take pride in the richness of our diversity and our nurturing atmosphere, which encourages students who might not otherwise aspire to higher education to enroll and excel.